When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Friday, November 12, 2010

More lights please

After setting up the office with all the bookcases and a desk attachment, we realized that the space is too dark to work with just one recessed light. Since the office is the first thing you see when you enter through the front door, I wanted a nice chandelier that will act as a focal point for the room. I really like the idea of having a big oversized pendant light over the desk. Something that look like this:

OversizedEquatorPendantLitAVF8 source from here.

I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find anything within my price range. I didn’t want to spend more than $50 for this light. I even got myself a few lamp shades attempting to DIY my own, but nothing seems quite right. So I returned all 50 lamp shades that I got from Home Goods. Just kidding…. I only got 3 which I returned to the store almost immediately after realizing that none of the shade looks right. John didn’t like the idea of the pendant light since it blocks out most of the light, kind of defeats the purpose of making the room brighter.

So at our recent trip to Ikea, we finally found the one. Even then, I wasn’t so sure how great it would look but we went for it anyway. I must say, I am glad with the result. And for $39.99, we can’t complain. We also grabbed some cabinet lighting which were on sale for our expedit bookcases.

Again, we had to buy the recessed light converter from Lowes, the same one we got when we installed the capiz chandelier in our dining room.

IMG_4581IMG_4584IMG_4583IMG_4583IMG_4586 IMG_4585

We all know that furniture from Ikea requires some assembling. I can’t believe even light fixture require some assembling!

 IMG_4587IMG_4590

 IMG_4592

 

 

 

Here’s a close up of our Fillsta!

Me likey! :)

 

 

 

 

After getting the pendant light on, John moved on to install the cabinet lights.

IMG_4595 IMG_4597

We started with 2, one on each end. It looked kind of odd, so we added another one in the middle. When we decided 3 is what we will go with, John went behind the bookcases to hide all the messy wires.

IMG_4599   IMG_4600

Then we decide the location for the on off switch for the cabinet lights.

  IMG_4601IMG_4602

Ta-da…. it is hidden under one of the cubes, right next to a chair. We can easily reach for the switch to turn the lights on and off. :)))) 

IMG_4603

Now we just need to organize the area. If only we are motivated to organize the office :-| Both John and I are very messy people. Up to today, the desk is still a mess with who-knows-what laying all over. I can’t wait to find some deals on baskets/ inserts, so I can just throw everything in there out of sight!

No comments: