When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Expedit hunt over!

For the past few months, I’ve been watching craigslist like a hawk in hopes of finding the expedit bookcase for our office and nursery. I am too cheap to pay full price at Ikea so I opted to find used from craigslist. Every time I see the the size and color I want, I contacted the seller and arranged a time to pick it up. A lot of times, they were all sold by the time I contacted the seller. That’s why it took me months to finally able to get all the bookcases I wanted. We had to go as far as Long Beach to pick up one of the 5X5 bookcases. 2 of the bookcases we picked up from Burbank, which is not bad of a drive, and the last one we had to pick up from Culver City. Yes, we went all over town to pick up these used bookcases to save us money buying them new from Ikea. We are fortunate that we have a truck that we can borrow from John’s dad whenever we need it. I honestly think it is worth buying used. All these bookcases probably saved us 2-300 bucks from purchasing new. Plus, it saved us time from assembling them especially the big 5x5 bookcase, which could easily take 2-3 hours. Of course there is a risk of getting damaged item if you don’t check the item thoroughly when picking up. In fact one of the bookcase we got has a hole on the side which we didn’t notice when we picked it up. Since, it was at the lower side of the bookcase, it wasn’t that noticeable. We also arranged it so the hole is facing the corner, where it’s not easily seen. Other than that, we had pretty good experience with all our expedit bookcases. We have 4 altogether, 3 in the office and 1 in the nursery (shown briefly in my previous post).

IMG_4520

 

Here’s a picture of all 3 bookcases in the office. Can you spot them? Don’t judge, I didn’t bother tidying it up and making it pretty before taking this pic. Everything is still a mess and we still need to find baskets and inserts to organize our junk. It is an ongoing project to get this office put together. The desk attachment is the only thing we bought new from Ikea. I ran out of patience waiting for one to show up on craigslist. The white chairs I got from Target at 75% clearance! Around $18/ ea. What a steal!

 

IMG_4546

The one bookcase that is placed horizontally under the window was sitting a little too low for our preference. So we made a trip to Ikea and got him some legs. We pulled him out and drilled 4 inch high legs on him.

IMG_4553

Now, we just need to find us some baskets for these cubes, so we can start hiding our clutter away. Hopefully we’ll find something on sale soon! Can’t wait to get this office complete.

 IMG_4558 IMG_4556

No comments: