When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Butternut Squash

Today, we started Gaven with butternut squash. Homemade!!! Smile It was actually pretty fun making our own baby food. Most importantly, Gaven loves it!

I googled how to make baby food… watched some youtube videos and decided I can make my own. I went to the store and got this:

image

Source here.

I cut the butternut squash in half. Spooned the seed out. Put it in a pan that was filled with about an inch of water, skin side up. Roast it in the preheated oven at 400 degree for about 40 minutes. When the timer went off, I poked the skin with a fork to check for doneness. It is done when it is soft and tender.

Then I spooned the “meat” into the blender, added a little of water and start blending to achieve the consistency I want. Voila! Done…! Simple!

Since this is the first time Gaven is taking this, I mixed about a full spoonful of the squash to his rice cereal. He eats it like a champ! The remaining, we spooned it in little containers for the next few days meals. We are introducing 1 food at a time to make sure he has no allergy problems. So he will be eating this for the next 5-7 days before we start with another food. I am thinking of trying carrots next!Open-mouthed smile

photo-2 (3)photo-3 (2)

No comments: