When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Thursday, December 3, 2009

I hate the dentist!

No, this is not specific to any dentist. Just dentists in general. Since young, I dread going to the dentist. I remember in the old days when my mom took my sister to the dentist, there were 2-3 people helping my mom pin my sister down while the dentist did his thing. My sister struggled so hard that it was almost impossible for the dentist to work on her. At some point, they gave up and sent us home. I was too young to understand what was going on then. But I knew. I knew that was not a nice place and no kids (not even adults!) like to be there. I threw a fit, I threw tantrums, I cried, whenever my mom tried to take me there. She had to bribe me with candies, toys and anything cute to get me to go. I fell for it each time. I even fell for cute little stupid erasers.

As I grew up, I knew better. I didn't fall for my mom's bribe anymore. I knew better than to fall for some stupid little erasers. So I stopped going regularly. I avoided going to the dentist if I could. I didn't do my yearly check up as I was supposed to. I went when I absolutely had to. I am blessed that I have no major problems with my teeth for not visiting the dentist as often as I should. Yea, I did have fillings done here and there but nothing major.

I am older now and hopefully wiser. I know I can't avoid going to the dentist. I know it's easier to take care of it now rather than later. And I knew at some point, my luck will run out. So I started going to the dentist twice a year for cleaning and check-ups. Although I still cringed at the idea of going to the dentist each time.

Couple of weeks ago, I was due at the dentist for my cleaning and check up. I propped myself down on the deadly chair, changed the channel to foodnetwork, trying hard to make myself comfortable and ignore the dental hygienist presence. When she was done, she was trying to explain my problematic area. She thought she was being helpful by trying to visually show me my problem tooth. Does she not understand I just want to get out of there as soon as possible?! She put a little camera in my mouth, moved it around to explain what she saw. I swear she must have hated me. No other explanation for what she did to me. My knees went weak when I saw my tooth blast into a BIG computer screen in front of me. Hearing her suggest the possible treatment I need doesn't help the situation. The dentist finally came in. Looked at the x rays and report. Alas! My most fearful news. He suggested that I have my wisdom teeth taken out. Although, they are pretty healthy right now, they grew in such odd shapes that I constantly have food stuck in there. Cavities are bound to happen. I promised him that I will make sure to keep my teeth clean every night before I go to sleep. Of course that didn't go far with him. He said the teeth grew in such odd shapes (especially the 2 on the right side) that it is impossible for me to keep it clean. So getting rid of it now will save many problems later.

I got his referral and made an appointment with an oral surgeon. I got another x-ray done there and this is way cool. The machine went around my head from left to right slowly. I felt like I was being scanned to see if I was from another planet or something. Anyway, as predicted I do need to take all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. I threw out the idea of getting the 2 that are more problematic out first and the other 2 later down the road. The idea quickly got shot down when the oral surgeon said I will be going through the procedure twice. Get knocked out twice, going through the recovery twice! Hmmm.... no thanks! Once is painful enough.

I have heard conflicting stories about the experience of extracting wisdom teeth out. Some say it is not that bad and some say you will be in excruciating pain for weeks and you will be on a liquid diet for weeks. For a person who fears going to the dentist each time, this procedure doesn't sound fun at all. They assured me that I will not feel a thing since I will be put to sleep. How can this not sound scary?? Put to sleep? What if i never wake up? What if they screw up? Can you imagine you have no clue what they do to you while you were knocked out?? So there is also that! There are a lot of "what ifs" in the house for the past few days that drive John up the wall! lol, poor guy. I am super nervous not only is this a dental procedure (I swear, if this is another health issue, I may not be this nervous!), it is also because I will be put to sleep since I've never had to go through anything like that. John didn't think it is such a big deal. It's easy for him to say. He has had many surgeries done over the years. Yes, he is refurbished.

I haven't made my appointment for the surgery yet. I am trying to buy some time. But how much longer can I postpone it? :( And I keep thinking, do I really need to take all 4 of them out?

Anyway, here's something for your eye candy to brighten up your day and to increase your appetite for the day! :)))






my x ray :))))))


No comments: