When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My wisdom teeth extraction

Yesterday, I finally went for my wisdom teeth procedure. I decided to take 2 out instead of 4 at once. I will take the other 2 out down the road when I need to. I dreaded the day would come, and it was finally here. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after 12 midnight on Sunday night and my procedure wasn't until 11:30 the next morning. So I slept till 10:30 so I wouldn't feel hungry or thirsty.

Boy, I was terrified at the dental office. I cried like a baby on the dentist chair. Pretty embarrassing I know. A grown adult crying on the dentist chair. I tried to talk my way out of doing the surgery but there was no way out. Fortunately, the doctor and the nurses were very patient with me. John stayed with me in the room for as long as he could. Each time they tried to put the anesthesia on me, I told them to stop. Finally the very patient doctor was able to convince me that the medicine he is going to inject in me is going to calm me down. He applied some cold cream on my right arm where he was going to put the needle in. Probably some numbing cream. I was knocked out after that. When I woke up, they told me it was done. It felt like an instant. I was too groggy to think what just happened. The nurse wheeled me out on a wheelchair. I was probably able to walk, but I was groggy.


Once we got home, I continued to sleep. I was on painkillers (codine) so I didn't feel the pain but I was drowsy and nauseous. I've never been on painkillers before so it was probably too strong for me. John made me some beans and porridge for dinner. I threw up my dinner after the second dose of painkillers. I felt awful. John called the doctor to get a different prescription for me. So later that night, I was on vicodin and anti nausea pills and continued to sleep. The doctor to call to check on my condition before he went to sleep last night.
I thought that was very nice.

This morning, I woke up fine. I didn't feel any unbearable pain, so I stoped taking the painkillers. I think the painkillers made me worse. It feels a little uncomfortable still but nothing major. The recovery is better than we thought. We were so proud of me. :) Throughout the day, I will need to rinse my mouth with salt water. Today, I will continue with my soft food diet and hopefully when Christmas comes, I will be able to eat!!! Ahh... I am so glad it is finally over! I really thought i was going to die. :) A drama queen i know. That is for now... till the next 2... :(

3 comments:

Denise said...

didn't you ask john to get something for you in exchange of you being so guai, like in childhood time.

Did you have to pay for the extraction?

Adeline said...

yea, didn't think of it. But I don't think it's going to work now, I would still have created a scene at the dental office. :P

Of course I have to pay for it. Insurance pay most part, I still need to pay my portion.

Denise said...

but the doc sounds wonderful. unlike in msia where u have to pay full for every fecking thing and get lousy service too.