When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Miserable looking chocolate balls

For my company potluck this year, I attempted to make chocolate cake truffles. I used one of June's recipes here. It was really the only chocolate cake truffles recipe that I could find from the internet. Her recipe calls for chocolate cake which many chocolate truffle recipes don't call for it. So I thought I would give this a try since it's kind of unique. I failed the first time around and attempted again the following night. Sure glad I started making it on Tues night because I had Wednesday night to try it again. And if I failed the 2nd time, I have Thurs night to try again. The potluck was on Friday. So the first batch of my choc truffles didn't turn out good because I failed to follow instructions. I mixed and matched a few other recipes with June's. I added some other ingredients while mainly relying on June's recipe. Long story short, the first batch was a disaster because I couldn't seem to roll a perfect ball size. It was too soft, and I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be like that. Had I known, I would have added more choc cake to harden it. Anyway, it doesn't taste bad, it's just gooey. I tried again the second night, and after more consulting from June, I was able to make a nicer batch. It is not perfect still, but it was good enough for me. =) This time, I made sure I followed exactly what June's recipe called for. However, I still had problem coating the choc balls. I guess the melted choc was too thick for me to coat them properly.
look at the chocolate coating... terrible job :(
here's a closer look at how miserable they look
and then i melted some white chocolate for decoration... hoping that it will cover the flaws... but of course it turned out miserable too...
i took it to work anyway... =) They tasted very good. So what the heck!? :)
the leftovers, i packed it into little cutesy boxes for friends.
It took me 2 attempts to get decent looking chocolate cake truffles. It was a hit at the company potluck but hopefully, I will make a prettier batch in the future. Thanks June for the wonderful recipe!

No comments: