When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

our fruit of labor

I was looking frantically for wedding invitations that would match my wedding color scheme but to no luck. Apparently, charcoal grey is not a popular wedding color. I found a wedding invitation company that can customize it for me but after getting a final quote from her, I decided that it's too expensive to pay for the invitations. I know many people said that the wedding invitation is very important because it gives your guests the 1st impression of how your wedding is going to be but I still do not think it's worth paying so much for the invitations. So me and my brilliant idea, decided to DIY. John was so against the idea and would rather pay somebody to do it. I had to promise him that I will not need his help and he reluctantly agreed. After many nights of research and looking at different types of invitations, I came up with a simple one-sided card with band around it. To soften the look of the invitations, I added a ribbon around the card. With the type of invitation in mind, it's time to get the materials needed. I cannot tell you how many times I had to go to the store to buy different kind of papers and to return papers to get the final result that I'm satisfied with. Finally, I decided on charcoal grey metallic card stock for the base, white card stock for printing and printed pink papers for the band.
here's the printed invitation with lavender watermark (forgot to rotate it before uploading ;P)
... and then i dragged him into helping me cutting the papers
he patiently helped cut the papers with Jimmy's paper cutter that we borrowed
He printed the invitations, cut all the papers. I glued them together and tied the ribbons. I must say, the hardest task about this invitation is tying the ribbon! After 2 weeks of slavery, many arguments and a very very messy house, we were so done and ready to get these invitations out the house!
the final package... card, rsvp card and directions. The RSVP card, I use the same lavender watermark to match the invitations. all papers used are shimmery heavy duty card stock except for the directions card.
just for the heck of it, we mailed the invitation to President Bush. :)
the invitation sealed in a silver shimmery envelope, with a pretty pink stamp- ready to be mailed out!
Lesson learned from the 1st DIY experience:"never attempt to do it if you are not crafty and if you are running out of time". It would only add stress and arguments with your fiancee. NOT WORTH IT. Nevertheless, I am quite satisfied with the result. :)))))

No comments: