When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Gaven’s First Birthday

We celebrated Gaven’s birthday the weekend before his actual birthday, Jan 14th. Our plan was to have a small party with around 20-25 ppl. Then we got carried away and invited way too many people. It was hard because if you invite this person, you have to invite the other person. That’s how our guests list got too long. We ended with around 35- 40 people.

My initial plan was to have cupcakes, the plan changed because there were just way too many cupcakes to make or order. I was going to bake my own cupcakes and decorate it myself, unfortunately, I have 0 talent in cake decorating. So we took the easy way out, order a cake from a bakery. I wanted to have a nice fondant decorated cake but it was just way too pricey. So I went the cheap way, and ordered a Costco cake and ordered separately a custom edible image to make the cake somewhat custom. I so wish my friend, June lives near me so I can have her help me bake my own cake.

We had Popeye’s chicken, Pizza and chow mein that I ordered from a Thai Restaurant for my chinese friends. Honestly, I think my chinese friends are disappointed with the food. The chow mein didn’t taste so good and I don’t think they care much for the Pizza. I need to come up with something else in the future if I am going to have my chinese friends over.

John blew the balloons in the morning with a helium tank we got from Wal Mart. I made the banner myself. I googled and googled forever for templates.

IMG_0020IMG_0021IMG_0023IMG_0024IMG_0025IMG_0026

We have a little age guessing game, whoever was able to arrange the pictures above in the order from youngest to oldest wins a $10 Starbucks gift card. Chisho won, which is odd considering he had only seen Gaven a couple times since he was born. I think he cheated. Sarcastic smile

IMG_0027IMG_0029IMG_0030IMG_0036IMG_0035IMG_0031IMG_0038IMG_0043IMG_0046

We forgot to take his cake out from the fridge to let it sit out so that it won’t be so hard. We took it out just before the cake smashing session and it was frozen hard. He wanted nothing to do with it. He started fussing when we put his hand on the cake, probably cause it was cold. Then we tried to put a little in his mouth and he flat out rejected it. So he didn’t get to eat any cake on his birthday unlike most kids, who are happy to shove their face in the cake.

IMG_0049IMG_0054IMG_0058IMG_0061IMG_0062IMG_0063IMG_0068IMG_0074IMG_0075IMG_0082IMG_0087IMG_0093IMG_0104IMG_0099IMG_0100IMG_0107IMG_0109IMG_0110IMG_0111

Steve and his girlfriend showed up late when everyone left and Gaven was in bed. Nothing unusual from Steve, always late to anywhere. Nyah-Nyah His gf brought over these cute little cake pops. Special thanks to Janet and Jimmy who came over early to help out with the party.

We didn’t get to open gifts that day except for a couple. It was just way too busy to do everything. So we left the gifts unopened till his actual birthday. We had family come over on the 18th, and opened all his gifts that night. Coincidentally, John’s cousin from CT was visiting that week, so they came over too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

which website did you google for the banner templates?
Swee Kim

Adeline said...

I printed mine from both these websites:

http://ruffledblog.com/printable-alphabet-bunting/

http://www.hellobee.com/2012/01/11/happy-birthday-banner-printable/

If you google "Happy Birthday bunting free template" or something like that... there are a bunch to choose from.