When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Snorkel Adventure in Maui

image source here
One of the most frequent and probably our favorite activity in maui was snorkeling. We bought 2 disposable underwater cameras to bring with us. I was kinda disappointed with the quality of the pictures. I didn't expect high quality pictures from those disposable underwater cameras but I didn't think the color would be this washed out. Or maybe it was the printing service? image borrowed from here. I guess for about $8-$10 each, I can't complain.

We followed our diligent Maui Revealed Guide Book for some great snorkeling spots.
best investment ever.

We didn't join the boat tours for snorkeling in the middle of the ocean, which we probably should have. For a person who has suffered from sea sickness from boat rides, I find that snorkeling right off the beach is just quite as amazing! The pictures that I took of John mostly turned out pretty good. Unlike me, John had no underwater photography skills at all... most the pictures of me turned out horrible. You could either only see my hand or one of my boobs in those pictures. This is probably the only decent one i can find ... at least i am in one piece. I am holding on tight to my bogey board for support the whole time. While John dove in a few times to catch better view of the fishes....
Another great picture from me....
At one point, I was swimming and found myself surrounded by a pool of fish. I pulled my head out of water, gasped for air, panicking. I told john "fish! fish! they are going to bite me!!!" I put my head in the water again and found those fish quickly swam by. I guess they were just passing by. They came out of nowhere!!! That was a pretty neat experience. Not just that, we got this close to a sea turtle. It was amazing. I find it rather odd that John managed to capture these beautiful pictures of the sea turtles but none of the pictures of me is in focus. hmm... The pictures didn't turn out very good. It was a shame. It was much much more beautiful than the pictures. The feeling was surreal to be able to swim that closely with these gorgeous sea creatures. We snorkeled a few times during our stay in Maui. One of my favorite favorite favorite snorkeling spots is the Honolua Bay. The water is calm and clear. For beginners like me, i find it rather easy getting in the water there. Black Rock is another great snorkeling site.

No comments: