When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My first helicopter experience

One of the highlights of my Hawaii trip was the helicopter ride aside from snorkeling. It was way more cool from what we expected. It was an amazing experience. It allows you to see the island from a different perspective. Pretty neat! Definitely worth it! Totally recommend it.

Well, since I have discovered that I get sea sick from boats, I figured to be safe, I should take some motion sickness pill before I go on the ride. Well, just in case. I didn't want to ruin the experience just like my whale watching experience. We found out the best time to do it is in the morning before 10:30am. We went with Alex Air Helicopter company just cause it was offered to us by the little snorkel rental store we went to. Sometimes, you get better rate going with an agency rather than the company itself. Also be careful, they usually try to lure you into timeshare presentation by giving you lots of discounts and coupons on the island activities. Which is great if you don't mind spending 2 hours listening to very motivated sales ppl hard selling timeshares. You must have a strong will if you decide to go to one to get the great discounts. If not, you will be looking at spending more $$ than saving. I wanted to go to one just so we can save $$ on the helicopter ride but John stubbornly refused. I mean, why not? Most ppl do that. I have no choice but to oblige like an obedient wife ^.^

They have different selections frm 20 min rides to 2 hour rides and the location depends on the tour time you pick. We picked to depart at 10 am for the 45 min tour around Molokai Island and West Maui. There were 6 passengers including us and the pilot. We suspected the other 2 couples were on their honeymoon. :) Our pilot was very nice, very knowledgeable and very personable. She gave us a lot of information and history about the island. Since I sat by the window, I was given the responsibility to take lots of pictures! Boy, was that the hardest task?! With the gorgeous view of Hawaii, how can I not easily snap up over 100 pictures on our 45 min ride? ;P

Here are some pictures from the helicopter. Seriously people, the pictures don't do it justice! The view was just so breathtakingly beautiful... bear in mind, these pictures are raw pics frm the camera. I would have used the color enhanced feature & red-eye removal feature from photoshop, if only i am not too lazy. :P



the headphones come with microphone so you can ask the pilot questions that you may have. I found out later that not many helicopter companies provide you with a microphone. They give you a pen and paper instead if you have any questions for the pilot. hmm... you start to wonder how safe you gonna be if the pilot has to look at your notes while driving? I also heard that some pilots are just annoyed when you ask them questions. I guess we were pretty lucky to go with this company without doing any research. Our pilot turned out to be da best!

many waterfalls at the neighbor island, Molokai

life vest strapped to my waist

No comments: