When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Mistake We Made

A couple weeks ago, we had the scariest experience that could happen to any parents. We thought Gaven had eaten one of my birth control pills! Disappointed smileGulp… yes! I usually have the pills on the night stand and Gaven likes fiddling with everything on the night stand. Tv remotes, Ipod, fan remote including the pills that were on there. We’ve seen him playing with it a few times but thought nothing of it since the pills are safely packed. One day, we noticed that a pill almost got out but not exactly. Almost seems like he tried to push the pill through but didn’t quite get it. You can tell, he was trying to bite it because the pill broke into little pieces. Still that incident didn’t make us take any precautionary actions.

Then one night before going to bed, I noticed a pill was missing and started panicking. I alerted John and we started looking everywhere on the floor frantically. Since we’ve seen him playing with it before and even tried to put the pack in his mouth, we came to the conclusion that he might have accidentally eaten it (he likes putting everything in his mouth!). I was so worried and guilty. We did some internet research and most of them said there is no harm to it. They will most likely get nausea and stomach pain. He was his normal usual self all day (Penny said he was good all day). I was still very worried despite what I read on the internet. I wasn’t sure if we needed to bring Gaven to the ER, it was midnight and he was fast asleep since 7:30pm. John called the Poison Control hotline and they re-confirmed our findings from the internet. When they took our name over the phone, I thought they were going to call the cops on us for trying to poison our child. Confused smile

I couldn’t sleep all night thinking that Gaven could have died from it. I mean it could have been a painkiller, Advil or Tylenol, something more dangerous than a birth control. The next morning, I found the little pill on the floor next to my bed! Why we didn’t see it the night before, I don’t know. Go figure! I was so relieved, he didn’t eat it after all!

After this scary experience, I now have the pills safely tucked inside the drawer where he can’t get to. We also learned from this experience that never, ever leave any medicine out. Ever again!

IMG_0026 (8)IMG_0027 (9)

Little munchkin trying to eat my clothes pin. I’m not kidding when I said he likes to put everything in his mouth including dirt.

No comments: