When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Friday, August 28, 2009

a huge milestone

for me it is! :) A huge milestone in the cooking world! Today is the first time ever I put my hands into making fried won ton. One of my favorite foods! Frankly, it turned out pretty good. ** a pat on my shoulder** :)

I never in my life thought i would make fried won ton. I mean ever... in my life. I remember thinking what a complicated thing it was and thought I would never be able to do it. I am talking about the won ton wrapping skill of course. Janet had tought me how to wrap them one time. I tried it and it didn't come out good. I thought i would never be able to do this. I didn't get the whole twisting the end part. And i am very impatient about the whole process.

Today, i finally took the plunge. I had wanted to make it a few months ago, but didn't get to it. The won ton wrap that i bought just sat in the fridge to rot. Last week, when I was at the Chinese grocery shop, I bought the won ton wrap again. This time I was so determined not to let the won ton wrap rot. So finally, I had the courage to make it and i am glad i did. I hit a huge milestone in the cooking world. I am sure my mom will be so proud of me! I am so proud of myself. Ok ok... I know what you are thinking. It's only fried won ton for god sake.. it is probably one of the easiest recipe in the Chinese menu. And here I am making such a big deal out of it. But you don't understand ppl;.. it's me we are talking about here! It's me people! Can you imagine me making fried won ton??? Patiently peeling shrimp shells, deveining and depooping them? FYi- I don't like to deal with shrimps due to the de-shell thingy fact alone. So it was indeed a huge milestone for me. To top it all off, the wrapping skill is impeccable. LOL....... you can see it for yourself!


They look pretty darn good, don't they? They do actually look like won tons! (Disclaimer note: if you see the ugly ones, chances are they are wrapped by John... ) :>

fyi- they are not burned. They just turned slightly darker than the usual color. They still taste very good. Just making sure the fillings are cooked through. One of my tactics. It was done on purpose on my behalf ;) No biggie. (at least that's my story and i am sticking to it)

In the tiny memory space that I have, I remember when I was younger, I watched my mom make something similar, the spring rolls. We would sit in the kitchen and my mom would teach me how to wrap them. I would be so happy when she made them because I love anything fried! Today, I am in the kitchen coaching my husband on how to wrap them. Ahh... I have grown up! I have indeed grown up.



3 comments:

Simply June said...

i wrap an unuse wonton skin and freeze it.. it keeps just fine..before using, just thaw it at room temperature

Adeline said...

I have only realized that won ton skins are supposed to be kept in the freezer the second time around when I bought it. Yes, I am that retarded! When I got it the first time, I put it in the crisp section of my fridge. Doh!

Denise said...

hello, auntie! :-D