When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

bring back memories....

So I have officially started my first day of class today. The company has sponsored a few "kids" to an Advanced Excel Training Class at the COC. I know i know... you may say it is not really necessary to attend an Excel class but you may be surprised at some of the things you learn at this class. 

I was kinda hesitant about joining especially when I found out that it occurs every Wed night from 5-9 pm for a good 6 weeks. Say what??! yes... a total of 24 hours of class. Insane. Anyway, John encouraged me take the offer. He said "never turn down an opportunity for training/classes that a company sponsors". So I signed up last friday. 

Today i was dreading going to class. (By the way, coc is only less than 2 miles frm my house!) I haven't been to school/ sit in a classroom for almost 7 years? (i think... feels like a century!) There are 6 of us including the president of the company. We were given a map of the campus and a parking permit to place on the dashboard of the car. We all went straight there frm work. Yay for getting off 1/2 hour early frm work! I guess that's one of the perks for going to this class. ;P 

Well, much to my surprise- I really enjoyed my first class so far. I can't wait to learn the rest of it. It was weird sitting in a classroom again and actually learning something. Given handouts and some small tests. Kinda cool. :) Half way into the class, everyone was getting tired & hungry. I found myself on and off tuning the professor out, hence losing track and fell behind. "what? what happened? how did you do that?" And of course, back on track again with the help of classmate. The class went by rather quickly with a 20 min break. The professor said we all did good and we are actually ahead of schedule. Much to my surprise, the president raised his hand at this point and said "does that mean that we get to go home early?". We all laughed but deep inside were so relieved that it came out from him instead of us. Well you never know if you will get a write up at work for saying that during class. We did get to leave early. 20 min. =D 

Tonight's class reminds me so much of the school years i've been through. Back in the days. It is totally normal to feel like not going to school, going in late, skipping class, hoping that the professor would let us out early, ...etc etc etc. I learned... adults do the same thing too.

And oh... I got a parking ticket! yep, on my freaking 1st day of class. I forgot to put the parking permit on the dashboard. Fortunately, our HR said he will take care of it. See? Maybe the school in cali is different. That's one thing that I didn't use to do when i went to school in Michigan. 



No comments: