When life gives you lemons ask for salt and tequila!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

duck is in my name?

The Wedding is this weekend and I am all excited. Tomorrow will be my last day of work and I'll have one week off. Yes, pretty sad.... just one week. I don't know if I am excited about the wedding or the week off. I just started with this company and yesterday was officially my 3 months working there. I must say, I am pretty happy working there. Aside from the pay, there is really nothing I can complain about. :) Well, at least it's all good for now. Don't want to say too much, don't want to jinx it.

So with the wedding date drawing near, everybody at work started talking about it. Everywhere I went, people started asking "So you're getting married soon huh? Excited? Everything is pretty much done? Where are you going for your honeymoon?" It's funny how even people I have not talked to before, people that we sometimes run into each other walking around the facility, people that you usually will just throw a smile or those insincere "how are you doing" questions, came up to me and start asking questions about the wedding. I even have Yolanda (my neighbor- sitting next to my cubicle) counting down the days for me every few hours, she reminds me how close the wedding is. Ok, Yolanda is the loudest lady in the office. So yes, by now everyone knows that I am getting married. Weird, one of the many questions that I got, one of it is "What is your new last name going to be?". My direct supervisor is all ready to inform the IT to change my email address, inform Purchasing to order my new business cards, inform HR to change my paperwork to my new name. Ok, so I know it's a common practice that once you got married you take your husbands last name. You go to Social Security office and change all your legal documents to your new last name. You get new driver's license, you get new passport. Well in Malaysia, it doesn't work that way. You will be known as Mrs. so and so but legally, you still carry your dad's last name. Your legal paperwork is still your own last name. I am not saying I am not willing to take John's last name, in fact I am kind of looking forward to it. It makes you feel belong, like you are now his. I don't know how to describe this... it's just a feeling. Anyway, we have both decided that I will not be changing my name until all the legal paperwork are put through. Didn't want to cause any confusion or any delays to my immigration paperwork. On the other hand, I'm kind of sad that I will be losing my name but I am going to try to keep my chinese name in there somewhere with the duck. ;) It is so weird. I'll get to pick my own name!

I was talking to an old friend of mine that we used to work together, she told me that never in her life would she think that I will marry an American guy. I am not surprised or in any way offended, because frankly I still couldn't believe it. Anyone who knows me before I met John will really have a hard time believing that I am marrying an American. I just haven't had anybody tell me that yet until last night, when I was talking to her. However, I don't see myself marrying an American, I see myself marrying John. He is that individual that fits my puzzle that just so happens to be an American. :P

Sorry stevo, I know I am killing you with this post. :) You'll know what I mean. Someday....

Enough about that, here's a picture for your eye candy:

No comments: